The Commonwealth Youth Council Executives convened in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for the first Council Meeting of the year from 1st to 5th March 2017. The executives present were as follows:
- Kishva Ambigapathy
- Chairperson of the Commonwealth Youth Council from Malaysia
- Nikoli Jean-Paul Edwards
- Vice Chairperson (Policy, Advocacy and Projects) of the Commonwealth Youth Council from Trinidad and Tobago
- Faith Manthi
- Vice Chairperson of (Partnerships and Resources) of the Commonwealth Youth Council from Kenya
- Pravin Nikam
- Regional Representative of Asia of the Commonwealth Youth Council from India
- Sujae Boswell
- Regional Representative of the Caribbean and Americas of the Commonwealth Youth Council from Jamaica
- Christina Giwe
- Regional Representative of the Pacific Islands of the Commonwealth Youth Council from Papua New Guinea
- David Aoneaka
- Representative of Special Interest Groups of the Commonwealth Youth Council from Papua New Guinea
The meeting was assisted by two representatives – Mr. Sushil Ram, Manager and Mr. Lawrence Muli, Program Officer from the Commonwealth Youth Program of the Commonwealth Secretariat in London.
The Commonwealth Youth Council thanks the Malaysian Government, especially YB Dato’ Seri Dr. Ahmad Zahid Hamidi for the continuous support given towards the establishment of the Commonwealth Youth Council Secretariat in Malaysia last year. The Council were given the opportunity to thank him personally by meeting the Deputy Prime Minister himself at the Deputy Prime Minister’s office in Putrajaya.
He encourages youth leaders to exercise their role in combating the current clash of civilisation. An example he referenced of Malaysia’s efforts in empowering the youth is by innovating new solutions through a new platform called the National Transformation 2050 Program – better known as TN50. He also reaffirms Malaysia’s commitment in knowledge and experience sharing for the future of youths not limited to Commonwealth countries, but also globally.
The Council also had Courtesy Calls with the President of Senate, Dato’ Seri S. A. Vigneswaran at Parliament, Malaysia, the Deputy High Commissioner of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland to Malaysia, Mr. Paul Rennie, the Malaysian Youth Council (MBM) and iM4U.
The focus of the Council Meeting was on the Commonwealth Youth Council Executives Mid Term review and the formation of the Task Force for the preparations of the Commonwealth Youth Ministers Meeting (CYMM) which will be held in July 2017 at Kampala, Uganda. The outcomes of discussions at CYMM will feed into the 2018 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM), which will be held in the United Kingdom.
The appointment of the Coordinator of the Commonwealth Youth Council Secretariat was also decided during the Council Meeting of which Mr. Dhanesh Basil from Malaysia was officially appointed to the role of Coordinator.
The Commonwealth Youth Council represents the voice of more than 1.2 billion youths in the Commonwealth. We are committed to advancing the youth development agenda and co-ordination of activities and policies of the Commonwealth in the field of youth.